Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
*Suggested Marinating Wait Time: 4 hours*
1 cup Buttermilk
3 tbsp Hillside Harvest Carrot Escovitch
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
4 Chicken Thigh filets, pounded to even thickness
1 & ½ cup AP Flour
½ tbsp Paprika
½ ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic
Peanut or Vegetable Oil for Deep frying
Carrot Escovitch Slaw
½ cup Mayonnaise
3 tbsps Hillside Harvest Carrot Escovitch
Salt & Pepper
2 14 oz Coleslaw Bag mix
¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
4 Brioche Sandwich buns or buns of your choice
Butter for toasting the buns
In a bowl, combine buttermilk, Hillside Harvest Carrot Escovitch , salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add in chicken thighs and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Whisk together flour, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet until it reaches 325˚F (165˚C).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, wiping the excess off the chicken and set aside the buttermilk marinade. Working with 1 chicken at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk marinade, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl. Dredge again in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. The thickest part of the chicken should register 165˚F (75˚C).
- Spicy Mayo: In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Hillside Harvest Carrot Escovitch and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside ¼ cup of this mixture.
- Coleslaw: In a large container, combine the slaw mix, onion and the remaining mayonnaise mixture.
- Sandwich assembly: Spread the cut side of the bun with butter and toast over a medium heat until browned and crisp, about 1 minute. Spread the bottom part of the bun with Hillside Carrot escovitch Spicy mayo and pickle chips, add in crispy chicken and top with slaw.